Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Flipper Springs


When the thermometer drops to 8*F and the wind blows, it’s time to retreat to a small corner of the shop and turn on both space heaters.

Since I now have the stainless steel spring wire, I worked on a winding tool and made a few springs for the window flippers. The acceptance rate was very low as I had to modify the tool several times and learn the best bending technique, but I now have enough to replace mine, plus a few to spare.  

It’s difficult to duplicate the results every time, and since my old springs are rusty and have been stressed for decades,  there is no way to know the exact angle to bend them, but  I think they are close enough to the originals to function properly. The darker springs are the ones I removed.




You’ll notice, there are two spring configurations. The size is the same, but they are wound differently and to be honest, I didn’t notice that before I removed the old springs so I’m not sure which way they are supposed to be installed. If anyone has an original with the springs still in place, I’d appreciate the info. I’m only guessing, but there are probably left and right side versions, so I’ll try them different combinations to see what works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment