Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2017

What's a Flipper?

A reader reminded me that I need to describe what I refer to as a "flipper".

If I took the time to look up the real nomenclature it might help, but I don't have the parts manual, and I'm  too lazy to look it up if I did have one! The part is the hinged stainless trim piece that goes above the door on the hardtop models. It flips open when the door is opened with the window up, and flips closed when the door is closed. There is fuzzy weather stripping on both sides of the trim that grips the window to help prevent rattles and wind noise.

The springs hold the hinge in both the open and closed positions as needed. I found three different versions on my two cars, so there may be even more. Two styles used two springs each, one had three springs, and one style had longer spring legs on one hinge only. I think I managed to figure out which way to install them, as they do work okay.

The flipper in the photo has had weather stripping installed on one side only, but gives a better view of the springs than with both sides installed.


4 comments:

  1. Not sure it would help to look it up, I tried and closest I could get was group 23AM "Door opening upper wheaterstrip" but when I got to that detail section I couldn't find it listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, but since I figured out how they should be mounted, I'll still call them flippers!

      Delete
  2. Live & learn; when i get home I'll see if these are also present on my 4 dht.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenn, a 4-door hardtop should have them too. If not, I'd be curious to see how the windows are sealed at the top.

      Delete