Search This Blog

Friday, July 14, 2017

Headliner Concept


I’m still not certain how I want to design the headliner, but so far I’m proceeding with the idea of a “buck” to establish the contours and serve as a form to make a fiberglass shell similar to newer cars.
Without knowing exactly how much space to leave for securing the sides to the metal, I’ll have to estimate the fiberglass thickness and flexibility.

Here’s a picture of the “bones” that will form the skeleton, rough-cut to check fit. Next step is to square and install bracing and forms for sun visors, rear view mirror and courtesy lights above the doors.


If this idea doesn’t work I’m thinking about sections made of hardboard, covered with fabric and secured by stainless steel headliner bows.

5 comments:

  1. Hum, fiberglass is heavy, I got a interior kit with two sheet headliner for one project that was some kind of plastic (maybe PVC?) that was not that heavy and was great in that with the right amount of heat could be molded into any shape. Not easy to install but none are and much lighter then fiberglass I think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, yes, fiberglass is sort of heavy, though I’ll only need two layers of fabric and not much gelcoat, so it shouldn’t be too bad. The plastic you are probably thinking about, and which I would prefer to use is ABS, but the cost and complexity of tooling needed is more than I’m ready take on at this point. I've worked with it in repair situations, using both heat welding and solvent, but never by molding a big part.

      Delete
  2. Gary,seems like lots of work,and I'm impressed by your work and ideas,but are you doing this to get a special look or style to your headliner ? There are a few suppliers of stock or custom headliners..or ?
    Yet another question about your disc brake conversion,if you don't mind to much..just wonder if your new spindles have stock riding hight,or are they lower ?
    Regards,
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geir, I suppose I’m doing it this way for all the reasons you mentioned. I’ve replaced many stock headliners and really dislike the job. I’m also thinking the modern style is a better match for the other interior changes I’ve made, but most of all, it’s just another challenge to do something I’ve never done before!

      Delete
    2. My spindles are stock and the disc brakes use and adapter plate that bolts to the spindles, so ride height is the same. Tire diameter will be about an inch less than stock, but that will be the only change that affects ride height, and being all the springs and shocks are new, it might be even slightly higher at first, especially since I'm taking quite a bit of weight off the front.

      Delete