Search This Blog

Friday, September 22, 2017

The Midas Touch in Reverse

Seems like everything I've touched recently is going to hell. The hard drive  in my five-year-old computer crashed only days after installing the newest version of TurboCAD. Naturally I hadn't backed up anything since before I left on my trip and I lost quite a bit of info. However, except for twenty years of CAD files, most of the important stuff is okay...especially my Quicken files.

Biggest problem is recovering old software. MS Office was seven years old and I couldn't find a way to reload the 2010 version as I bought it new as a download without a disk, so this time I had to rent the Cloud version or spend a fortune for a disk. Now I'm really at the mercy of Microsoft, but at least everything in Office was backed up and I think I saved it all. Several other programs were salvaged by being on DVDs or having access to the original download sites.

Several small programs that I really liked and used a lot were also lost and there is no way to replace them. Recovering the backed-up files also scrambled a lot of folders, especially pictures, so lots of time consuming reorganizing to do.

Obviously, nothing is happening on the car, but the good news is I'm feeling better and might be able to make better progress once I get my computer issue resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment