Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Trunk Lid Install and B/U Light Lenses


Got the trunk lid installed today. No, I couldn’t find a willing helper nearby again so I had to rig the come-along to lift, adjust and hold it in place while I installed the bolts. It worked fine, but the whole operation took about two hours to rig and install. With a helper, it would have taken 15 minutes. I still have to adjust the hinges, but at least I can do that without help.





I’ve been looking for backup light lenses for quite a while but gave up trying to find good used, or reasonably priced NOS parts. I finally ended up doing something similar to what Old Ray wrote up in a Forward Look post back in 2014.

I bought a pair of Grote 62011 lenses for a grand total of $6.50 from Unity School Bus Parts…the cheapest source I could find when I ordered. For everyone’s info, the OEM lens is .97” tall and 3.68” in diameter, while the Grote part is 1.00” tall and 3.5” in diameter.


The choice I have to make is either to use the new Gary Goers gaskets  and slot the lens mounting holes, or turn the lens 90*and tap new screw holes in the housing. Slotting would require sealing small gaps in the slot that could let water in.  That method would also position the lens with the inside casting  lines in a vertical position.

If I drill new holes in the housing, the stock gasket wouldn’t match, but it would probably have better lighting characteristics with the focusing pattern cast into the lens.

As few times as I would use the backup lights, I think I will go with the first option. Maybe the lenses will be reproduced for a reasonable someday and then I could replace them without repairing the housing. Until then, the lights installed my way should suit my limited purposes...and the price was right.   

No comments:

Post a Comment