Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Almost Back to Normal



The wife and dog returned from their Las Vegas trip, so things are starting to get back to normal. More projects on her list, but I'm still glad to have them back.

Normal also means I have unexpected problems to eat up my free time. My computer decided to act up again, so I've been haunting HP tech support. Last year, my months-old HP Envy desktop breathed it's last. Tech support decided it was a hardware problem and wanted me to send it to the HP repair facility under warranty but the time to fix would be a month or more. I wasn't about to wait that long, so I visited the Best Buy Geek Squad for an estimate. They quoted $200 to troubleshoot, but suspected the mother board needed to be replaced. That would be another $350 and about two weeks to get the board! That was within a couple hundred dollars of getting a new computer, so naturally, being old and stupid...and since I had an almost new monitor, a new tower was the way to go. I bought the same model with the idea that I could cannibalize parts and have extra memory cards to upgrade. Now, eight months later, the new computer is giving me fits and tech support is stumped again. The worse part is they suspect another mother board. I know that if they want me to send it out again, I've bought my last HP computer! I've had Gateways since '92 and never had one go bad.

My dear wife has lots of projects for me to work on, but I put them aside so I could spend time on the car while the weather cooperated, but that only lasted two days before winter returned.

 At least all the console wiring is routed and tied into place, and I'm incorporating a few changes into the dash bundle. When the next nice day arrives, I'll try to get the dash installed.
Before I install any more sheet metal on the front, I'll have to make some rough alignment tweaks while all the adjustment points are readily accessible. Instead of taking a wild-ass guess with a level and a tape measure, at the recommendation of a Forward Look member, I ordered a simple tool that claims to measure all the adjustments.from one setup. It should arrive within a week, so we will see if their claims are truth or the usual BS! At least it's US made.




No comments:

Post a Comment