Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2019

Getting There...a little Faster!

It hasn't been often that I felt I had made much progress, but the past two days I have. Still working on wiring, but I'm down to about a dozen wires to route so I can soon begin terminating everything inside the console.

I also have the dash wiring nearly complete so if I can find time in the next week or so, I should be at the point where I can check for shorts, grounds and continuity, and then install the dash.

I figured out how to wire the seat belt module and will be able to install the fuse panel as soon as those dozen or so wires are in place. Then the progress should be a little more obvious.

I got to reading about trunk mounted batteries and the experts suggested high amperage protection as close to the battery as possible, so I ordered a 50 amp circuit breaker  and it's on the way.  One unpleasant surprise was a nearly $5 tariff on the breaker. That's the first time I've seen that on the invoice and I'm curious to see the country of origin. It might be just another fool-the-buyer fee like inflated shipping charges.

I ordered some parts recently that fit in a 3X5 envelope and weighed a couple of ounces but they charged almost $10 for postage. I know they need to charge for handling, but I wish they would just be honest about what they are charging for.




3 comments:

  1. Gary, I think you are going to be hard pressed to find any electronics made anywhere but China, other then Mexico. Your making good progress, I'm not, fell on the ice, back to the shop next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also quite sure it's made in China, but to see cost of doing business broken out on an invoice struck me as odd.
      Ray, be careful! Even here in Texas it can be a problem at times. We had freezing rain one day last week and I about went for ride while crossing a small bridge in my back yard, but caught myself before I went down.

      One advantage of being retired is that I can stay inside and drink coffee while listening to all the accident reports on the radio. At least where you live, people are familiar with ice and snow, but around here it only happens once or twice a year, and the recent influx of Californians makes driving a real hazard.

      Delete
  2. That's kind of funny, must be kind of subjective, because around here the hazards are the Albertans, mostly from the big city.

    ReplyDelete