Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2016

E-Brake


I’m taking advantage of the opportunity to accomplish several things that are more accessible while the upper dashboard is removed, so priorities change again.

One job I’ve been postponing is replacing the original parking brake handle that operated the transmission mounted brake band to a foot operated emergency brake. The mounting bracket I made is made from 1/8” steel so it’s difficult to bend, but it’s finished and installed…and please forgive the hammer marks!


 The brake mechanism is from a ’79 Aspen parts car, and the different shapes of the kick panels and location of foot operated controls somewhat limit how the pedal can be mounted in the ‘56. It’s higher and sits a t a slightly different angle than I like, but I had to leave room for my foot to reach the dimmer switch without hitting the brake. If I modify the pedal arm, I can improve on the location, but that will wait until the seats and dash are installed so I can get a better feel for the best location.


The upper part of the firewall was also more accessible to install more soundproofing material, so I took care of that. I like quiet cars, so I’m not going to skimp on anything that helps cut road and engine noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment