Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Mystery Moulding


I sort of stumbled across a partial answer to one of the questions I raised in an earlier post about windshield trim moulding differences. While reading in the service manual how to install the glass, I discovered a note that describes a different procedure if your car is equipped with a “visor moulding”. There were no pictures, but it described how that style upper moulding was mounted with screws through the roof, requiring the headliner to be dropped in front to gain access to the nuts, and that’s the version I have.
The question remains about the purpose of a visor moulding, but at least there is a place to start.  Is it for appearance only, or is it somehow used in conjunction with a factory sun visor?...or is it because the shape is reminiscent of a small sun visor? It looks somewhat like the ’57 and later windshield moulding as it juts away from the glass, so it might be a trim option that influenced styling features in following years. If anyone has a '56 parts manual, I’m curious to know if it’s part of a trim package, or if it has a function. I'm guessing it's for looks only.



I hung the doors on my "new" paint rack in preparation for painting the inside surfaces when I haul out the spray gun to touch-up a couple of thin spots on the body.  At the same time I plan to paint the inside of the trunk and some smaller sheet metal parts. Once the insides are painted, I’ll mount the doors and trunk lid on the body and finish sanding, priming and painting them while they are in place. Though I’d like to spray both sides while they are on the rack, there is a strong chance I’d damage the paint trying to hang them by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment