Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Windshield Arrived

The new windshield arrived yesterday, but it took two weeks to ship by freight from Oregon to Texas. It was well packed in a fitted cardboard structure, inside a heavy cardboard box that was strapped to a pallet and protected by a wood framework. I can now understand the shipping cost, but maybe the packaging was a bit overkill. They apparently use a standard-size shipping container for all their windshields, as the box could hold one twice the size of the '56.



I hope I can recruit a helper when its time to install glass. I doubt the local auto glass store would be interested in installing a windshield they don't sell, but maybe I can find a moonlighter willing to take on a side job.

Yesterday I remodeled my car dolly to create a wheeled rack on which I can hang bigger parts for painting. Unfortunately, I paid a price as I twisted my back again, so it looks like light duty for a while. I have enough small jobs to keep me busy, but I'm anxious to put more big parts together so it looks like real progress is being made.

Since it's back to light duty jobs again, instead of working on big sheet metal parts I changed oil and cleaned the carburetor on the rototiller. Though I drain the fuel every winter, the carb was gummed up with green sludge to the point the needle valve barely moved.  The cleaning cured the surge and dying problems, but the choke still has to be half-closed before the engine runs smoothly and has enough power to work under load. Seems like running lean is a common problem with small engines as they wear, but I haven't figured out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment