Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2016

Preparing for Glass

After months of fabricating and modifying, I'm anxious to begin the bolt-on phase of my rebuild. The rear window seemed a good place to start, so I dragged out the new seal and began installing it on the window frame.


When they packaged the seal, they flipped it a couple of times to make it roll up, but after sitting in the box for several months, the rubber took on a set and didn't want to straighten out. It was like putting handcuffs on a python, but I finally got it in place and taped down. I'll leave it there for a day or two with hopes it will form itself into the proper shape. If not, I may have to roll the car outside to let the sun give it  some help. When I discovered how twisted this seal was, I hung the windshield seal out in the sun.



Spent a couple of hours polishing the stainless steel mouldings that go around the windshield and rear window. Only a couple of pieces to go, but I had to order s few threaded moulding fasteners as several are too rusted to reuse. I should have checked earlier.

I also began cleaning the glass and it's proving difficult. A sharp razor blade and scrubbing with soap and then lacquer thinner removed most of the old, baked-on and stained deposits, and cleaning grade vinegar took off a little more. However, there is a thin line around the outside edge where contact with the rubber seal began. It's almost as if the glass is etched, but might be nothing more than ancient mineral buildup. I'll try soaking in CLR, but if that doesn't work, I'll switch to the Dremel and some aggressive buffing compound.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment