Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Dog Days

One more piece of trim to install on the rear window, and it's proving difficult. Unlike the windshield that's secured by fasteners all around, the lower edge of the rear window upper moulding must fit in a slot in the gasket. Then the ends of both the top and bottom moulding are held in place by the pillar side plate. The problem I'm having is getting one end to stay in the slot, and it appears that the moulding is deformed. I'm beginning to think I got it too hot when polishing and that the thin stainless warped. As I'm getting tired of fighting it, I think I'm going to remove the same piece from my parts car, carefully polish it, and see if it's a better fit.

Meanwhile, it was a beautiful, warm day, so I relegated the car to the back burner and decided to give the big dog a bath. The two Maltese go to the groomer and get bathed in the sink between grooming, but Bonnie, the Shar Pei, gets her bath outdoors. With much colder weather due to arrive Saturday, I thought it best to rid her of the doggie smell while the air was warm. I know, giving one dog a bath doesn't sound like a big deal, but the catch, wrestle and hold experience gives me all the exercise I need for one day! Anyway, she now smells like shampoo and I think has forgiven me for the torturous experience. Unfortunately, now I'll have to smell that Johnson's Baby Shampoo from the foot of the bed for several days...but I guess it's better than doggie odor. I really have to find some mild, unscented shampoo to use on her.           
It was also a good day to take the Valiant out for a spin, as I'll probably put the top up tomorrow so it can sit in the sun while the vinyl top un-wrinkles from being stored in the well since March.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gary.
    Your recent (?) trials and tribulations with the chrome trim on the hardtop make me appreciative of the lack (like none) of chrome on my base model Canadian Suburban, which might be a Dodge Crusader or Plymouth Plaza and really is both! I am in my reduce stress as much as possible time of life. so I am as content as a single guy with a full sock and underwear drawer, and it doesn't get any better then that.

    The nice picture of Bonnie reminds me of some guys I used to play hockey with or maybe what I looked like the next morning, and I sure am glad that stuff is long over. And, my boss is a Border Collie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the chrome is causing unexpected problems. Most of yesterday was spent stripping pieces from the parts car and measuring everything. The parts are okay, but the gasket is slightly different than the OEM part, and just as it was an issue when installing the glass, it's not properly shaped for the trim to fit.

    I love Border Collies and other herd dogs!...but those breeds are a bit too active for my lifestyle now.

    ReplyDelete