Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2016

Full of Turkey and Back to Work


Our Thanksgiving company has gone home, so I had a chance to work on a few things yesterday.
I de-rusted, painted and padded the two styles of brackets that help guide and rattle-proof the quarter window movement when it’s in the open position. The shorter leg of the L-shaped brackets was padded from the factory with some type of rubber material that looked like the same thing that is sold to dip-coat tool handles. I didn’t have any of that product handy, so I substituted gasket making material which should do the job. I know it won’t come off without being cut off, as I discovered trying to clean up some minor spillage that had dried.

Next I installed the track that guides the quarter windows when raised and lowered. This proved difficult as the lower end of the track fits deep into the corner where the sheet metal, floor panel, and inner rocker panels intersect. Due to the extreme rust in that area during repair, it was impossible to get accurate ,measurements to perfectly fit those pieces together, so the track is jammed pretty hard into the corner. I should have caught that during disassembly. I don’t foresee it creating a problem with the window installation, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Once I got the torque converter to seat it didn’t take long to get the transmission mounted, but I ran into another unusual situation. The mounting bracket for the dipstick tube didn’t fit properly, and had to be re-bent quite a lot! I somehow missed taking a photo of the dipstick area during disassembly, so I have no idea what happened.  

I bought the engine and transmission still bolted together and I was the one who tore down everything, so have no one else to blame. Where is a good scapegoat when I need one??
I’ll try to get the engine and transmission installed this week, but I think I’ll pick up a lightweight starter first to make sure there are no fit issues with it.

5 comments:

  1. What was the problem getting the converter into the front pump dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I knew. I've never experienced that problem in the past, but I took time to get it visually aligned as close as possible and it finally went in. I've never taken the time to intimately learn transmissions and torque converters, so it's my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gary
    You may have a problem finding a lightweight starter for that engine; if its the pre-1962 version (which it probably is, connected to a PowerFlite) it's my understanding that the newer type Dakota and later model gear reduction starters won't fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a '66 engine and 727, so I got a starter from Mancini and already have it installed. Since I bought the body without a drivetrain, the compatibility with more modern parts and accessories was one of the main reasons I chose the later engine and transmission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the rest of your blog and realized I should have done that before I commented!
    I'll be following it now, until you're finished. Nice work, I think its going to look great! And I'm picking up tips that will help me with my two Plymouth builds.
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete