Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

1956 AUTO TRANSISTOR RADIO COMMERCIAL



How far we've come! Seeing the parts from an old tube radio sure conjure up nostalgic thoughts. I remember tube testers in hardware stores, drug stores, appliance stores, service stations, but especially the one in my grandparents general store in a tiny North Dakota town. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I pulled the radio from one of my cars, put the tubes in a paper sack and took them to my uncle to be tested. He was a self-taught radio and TV repairman who worked in a little nook in the back of the store, and he was always busy keeping the old tubes glowing for his customers. Visiting with him while he worked on a radio, listening to the hum of a vibrator and smelling the distinctive odor of hot tubes are memories I'll never forget.

I almost feel bad replacing the original with the modern version, but my old, arthritic neck will appreciate the backup camera, and I've learned to love GPS navigation.



2 comments:

  1. Gary, are you going to use a amplifier with your receiver?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll need one. Every other aftermarket radio I've owned did just fine without it, and I have a tin ear anyway.

    ReplyDelete