Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Quarter Window Progress


I received the cat whiskers that will be used on the upper stainless steel quarter window channel.  It’s a decent fit and at least it bends to follow the curvature of the glass, unlike the material used on the straight pieces.  I couldn’t find an easy and inexpensive way to straighten the OEM clinches in stainless that secured the original material, so these are glued in place. Since longevity under service won’t be an issue, I trust it will work. The only thing that concerns me is the fuzz is a little bit heavier than stock and the .5” thick window frame might fit tighter than desired until it breaks in.



If anyone is interested, the part number of the bendable channel I got from Restoration Specialties is: M141P-96-WIN
$26 per 8ft length, and because of the long package, freight was $35.
As usual, parts never expected to cause a problem do. The quarter window lower adjusting mechanism showed almost no rust, just a dusting of white corrosion, but some of the special locking-type adjustment screws are immovable. I soaked and scrubbed them with lacquer thinner, followed by brake cleaner, and then hit the threads with PB Blaster. After several applications and soaking for two days, two of them broke free, but others are still frozen.  They can soak a couple more before I need them, but I might have to resort to a Vice Grip and replace with some from the parts car…if they can be removed!

I couldn't get a good picture of the cat whisker channel installed, but this sort of shows the black bead fitting against the edge of the stainless.



Got a call from the door sill folks to request final payment. She said they are ahead of schedule and will be done in about two weeks. If their reputation is accurate, they will probably be the best reproduction parts I put on the old Plymouth.
I've been sort of under the weather and haven't felt like crawling on cold concrete, but If I feel better tomorrow, I'll to get the transmission mount attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment