Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Taste of Spring


While my old home town is mired in winter and paralyzed by record snowfall and blizzard conditions, it was short-sleeve weather here…sunny, light breeze from the SW, and 70F. What a perfect day to work on the car!

I had to do some shopping this morning, so I couldn't get a full day in in the workshop, but I did finish making an adapter and installing the transmission mount. The adapter worked okay so I didn’t have to modify the cross-member, though I did have to slightly modify the mount itself. If anyone has to replace the mount and sees the modification, they might have some choice words for me, but I’ll be long gone by the time it wears out so I don’t care!

I was also able to dispense with my doctor-prescribed cardio exercise, as I worked up a real sweat crawling under and climbing out from under the car a couple of dozen times. I’m sure my muscles will remind me that I got far more exercise doing that than I would have walking a couple of miles on the treadmill.

Unfortunately, all did not go well when I made another attempt to install the stainless trim above the back window. The problem that plagued the glass installer is also causing my grief, and I can’t think of an easy fix. I can’t even think of a difficult fix!   I do know there is no way I can accomplish it alone, and I’m going to have to design and make a tool to tuck the rubber inside the trim, no matter how much help I have. I’ve researched commercial glass installing tools, but so far I haven’t found one that looks like it will do the job.

After two hours of frustration, I dug deep into my memory banks for some long-unused cuss words, repeated them a few times, picked up my tools and locked the shop. I definitely need some serious think-time before I try it again.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment