Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Roof Rail Gasket

Does anyone recall, or know where there is a picture of the roof rail gasket installation. Nothing in the service manual shows it.

The shape is such that it really doesn't fit well any way it's positioned, and the only part of the shape that looks like it might be meant to match is the curved side. It about fits the stainless channel trim, but if installed that way, the inside edge falls very close to the screw holes. If flipped, the curve doesn't match the nearly 90* bend in the metal, but the holes are centered on the rubber. Maybe it's designed to wedge against the tight angle so it seals better, but nothing looks right either way I put it.



Not helping matters is the fact that both the Belvedere and Fury parts car had what looks like white bathtub calk instead of a gasket. The way the stainless channel trim and headliner meet in that area looks like it could easily develop leaks, and I'm guessing that's why both cars appear to have been repaired with sealer.  I suppose I could also go that route, but since I already bought the parts I'd prefer to assemble everything as originally built.

We're expecting what locals refer to as a "Blue Norther" to hit this afternoon. The temperature now is about 70F at 11AM, but by sunset it's forecast to be freezing, and in the low teens by morning, with strong NW winds. I made a big pot of vegetable soup the other day, so I think I'll hibernate for a couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. -21C (-6F) here today so thought I would just send some of it your way, your welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the intense cold rolled down on us in North Dakota, Dad always said someone had cut the barbed wire fence on the Canadian border. Time to saddle up and ride the fence line, Ray. I moved to Texas to get away from the cold!

    ReplyDelete