Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Decisions...Decisions!

I wish I could make a decision to accomplish things in order, but I always manage to be distracted by something else that makes me change my mind!

While routing and permanently tying wire bundles under the dash, I noticed that I still had to cut, bend and weld the emergency brake pedal, so it aligned properly. I quit bundle-building and started to remove the brake mechanism, but then discovered  that with the dash installed, accessing the mechanism mounting bolts was nearly impossible. Bad planning on my part, so it took over an hour to remove. As I was taking it off, I remembered that I wanted to replace the stock kick panels with sheet metal and then cover them with vinyl. The new panels had to be formed to allow mounting a 6" radio speaker in each one.

I got the driver's side panel cut from 20 ga steel, then formed the panel, and mounted a speaker for a fit check. Everything fit nicely, so I looked for a piece of black vinyl I thought was in a box full of upholstery material in the attic. I guessed wrong, so I painted the panel black and put it aside until the vinyl material arrives.


Then I got back to the brake mechanism and modified the mounting method to make it easier to remove and install. Now that operation works much better, and I finally got around to notching and bending the pedal arm. Tomorrow I'll weld and repaint it...unless something else captures my attention. Maybe then I can get back to finishing the dash wire bundle routing!

I decided that I need a spare tire before I can make a tie-down for it in the trunk, so I ordered a new 15" Mopar Rallye wheel. I searched the Net for one '80 Cordoba wheel to match the ones I already have on the car, but found nothing for sale.

I was shocked to learn that used steel wheels were nearly the same price as new, if shipping was included. Since Jegs pays shipping, a new Rallye was $105 pus tax, and I won't have to strip paint and de-rust! New steel wheels were nearly the same price, so I figured the Rallye would look a lot better than black or white if I have to use a spare.



No comments:

Post a Comment