Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

More Trunk Progress


I’m thankful for several nice days in a row to work on the car, as well as catch up on spring yard work. Mornings were spent on the mower, digging weeds, and spreading mulch, but I had nice sunny afternoons to play on the car. I kept the overhead door open to let the sun shine in and concentrated on the trunk area where I could work in shirt sleeves.

I managed to finish installing the Roadkill sound-dampening product, and then designed and welded up a frame to support and tie down the spare tire. I received the Rallye wheel I ordered from Jegs, but the tire I wanted was out of production and had to come from a warehouse in South Texas, so I used one of the tires from the car to determine dimensions for the support frame.

I’m satisfied with the results but won’t bolt the frame in place until after the carpet is installed in the trunk.

If you wonder what the notches are in the tire support cross-bar, it was just a piece I found that happened to be exactly the right length, so I used it since it will be out of sight when the tire is in place. Yes, I know It's overbuilt from heavy angle, but the other size I had was too small.


Now I’m trying to figure out the parking brake cables and rear shock mounting. Neither can use the original locations, so I’m researching cable part numbers, and shock extenders. The longest extensions I could find that look like they would work are 2-1/2 inches, and I need at least 4-1/2 inches to keep the shocks at the stock angle. Looks as if I’ll have to come up with custom-made brackets for these too!

No comments:

Post a Comment