Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Shocking Development

Since I'm still working at the back of the car, I figured it might be time to resolve the shock questions that have been nagging me.

The seventy-something B-body rear end was installed with the shock plates from that part, as I did not attempt to use the '56 mounts. Now, the mounting points have moved inboard and lowered approximately 4-4 1/2". If I attach the shocks the way it sits, they will be at full extension when sitting with a light load. I seem to recall that is the perfect setup if the car is intended for drag racing, but I haven't a clue what the perfect setup is for a daily driver!

I've looked far and wide for shock extenders, but the longest I've found are 2". If I want to have the shocks mid-extension for average driving, I'll have to make custom extenders, or find a longer shock. At this point I'm not sure which way to go, and would like to know how others who did the same rear end swap resolved this situation.

Maybe the HAMB is the place to solicit opinions, but am looking for comments here first.

I have a new visitor from the Forward Look forum who is looking for gauge info about his dad's  '56 Savoy, so I'll post a picture of my old speedometer that might help him.


4 comments:

  1. So under the heading of every equation has two ends could you change the shock (to fit) rather then the mount. By measurement / dimension, I have a poor picture of mine (with lowering blocks) if you kike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray, Yes, I’d like to see a picture of your installation. Pictures of modifications of any kind are always appreciated, and I’m open to all suggestions.

    If I use different shocks, besides the length there is also an issue about the fore and aft vertical alignment. The mounting stud on the B-body plate is about an inch back from vertical, so the shock has to be pulled back to slide on the stud, which places it in a stressed position. If I make an extension, the top bolt would center on the frame cross member so the vertical alignment would be about perfect and that’s the main reason I was thinking an extension.
    The new shocks I have are KYB Gas-adjusts that I bought when they advertised a special price a few years ago. They are now obsolete and not even listed in the KYB catalog, so that only adds to the confusion when comparing dimensions and cycle ranges. Lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary, thank you for the picture of the speedo! Those 3 tabs are held in place with screws accessible from underneath I assume? Your progress is amazing, and impressive. Can't wait to see it run the streets for the first time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the tabs rest on threaded standoffs attached to the dash and the nuts are relatively easy to reach.

    Thanks for the encouragement. I only hope It's on the street while I'm still above ground!

    ReplyDelete