Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2019

Skipping Around Little Jobs Again

The weather was beautiful for a couple of days, so I opened the big door behind the car and worked on the rear gravel shield. When I bought the Belvedere, much of the tail panel and both gravel shield parts looked like they were made of lace, and the tail panel I bought was only marginally better. The Fury was even worse.


Since there was so much metal missing and the parts were so flimsy, it was next to impossible to determine the exact shape of either part, and with the compound curves it was doubly difficult. The tail panel was the better of the two mating parts, so I used it as the base and left the shield to make-match when the time arrived. Well, the time has arrived, so I cut, shaped, and welded patches for two days. It's not a perfect match by any means, but it's close enough for a driver.

Next little job was finishing and installing the brake release handle and warning light. It works fine, but now I need part numbers so I can order emergency brake cables. Because my entire setup is modified, I can't use the Rock Auto or Raybestos application search feature. I'm using parts from three different cars, so I sent them a description of my problem and requested a link to their engineering catalog. So far there has been no response, so I might have to call tech support next week.



Still working the shock absorber problem, but I think I have identified which part would work the best for my needs, and It wouldn't need an extension. I have to crawl under the car and recheck dimensions with weight off the rear springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment